Tuesday 5 May 2009

Monday 27 April 2009 - Thomas Knob Shelter

Following on from the last entry, I hiked 27 miles on Friday so that I was just 2 miles out of the trail town of Damascus, Virginia (having crossed the border from Tennessee). Hiked into town on Saturday morning to use the post office and the internet. Met some guys who had hiked a short (70 mile) section of the AT then rented a house in Damascus - they'd bought 200 beers and were inviting thruhikers over to party with them.I popped in and had a beer, but I'm tryin to avoid it at the moment as hiking is substantially more difficult even after just 2 or 3 beers the night before.

Did the usual things in town (resupply, waste money at the outdoor store, stuff my face) then hiked out with Peg and Paul on Sunday. We got about 7 miles from town when, because of the heat, we decided to take a dip in the river running alongside the trail - it was awesome to cool down. We camped alongside the river with Skip and I got a campfire going - happy days.

By the way, it's now coming up to 2 months since I had a shave and the beard is coming on a storm (although it's very ginger). It's reached the stage where food gets caught in it - I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, nice beard description hon - that's given me something to look forward to when I see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Atkinson14 May 2009 at 14:49

    I think we need photographic evidence of the beard Rich! Is the plan to not shave the whole way?

    Sounds like you are having a great time. Keep up the snake dodging good work!.
    xx

    ReplyDelete