Tuesday 5 May 2009

Tuesday 28 April 2009 - Camping (No Shelter)

Odd but interesting day today. It was beautifully sunny again and my calves joined the catalogue of body parts that I've sunburnt.

This morning, through a rocky section of the trail I somehow managed to get truned around so that I began retracing my steps south - fortunately some of the people I camped with last night were following close behind so I realised my mistake quickly (but not without embarrasment). Shortly afterwards one of my trekking poles with which I've been having some problems finally gave up the ghost and broke - I need to call the company to see if they can ship me some replacement parts.

I hiked with Monkey Wrench to the shelter that we were aiming for, but we arrived early (around 3:30) and so with Peg and Paul decided to hike a little further to find a campsite. However, there were no campsites forthcoming and so our planned 16 mile hike became a 22.7 miler. Finally found a campsite with lots of other folk (Skip, Truckin, Young Gun, Narwal, Gritty and Gromet) some of whom had packed in some beer from a nearby town. Was nice to sit by a campfire and drink a beer.

Apparently the weather is scheduled to break in the next day or so with rain on the way - at least it will give me abreak from sunburn...

No comments:

Post a Comment