Tuesday 19 May 2009

Friday 15 May 2009 - John's Hollow Shelter

Last night was one of the most crazy topsy-turvy evenings on the trail so far. I arrived at the Thunder Mountain shelter at around 6pm having hiked a 24 mile day and met a guy just leaving carrying a large gas stove and a big cool bag. He said that he had just cooked dinner for the people in the shelter, but that he'd happily set up again for me. So it was that last night I ate sausage, scrambled eggs and pancakes and drank orange juice (with ice!) until I was full to burst. The chap's name was John Hasty and he said that his son had hiked the trail 2 years before and he'd been coming out to two shelters that he could get his car close to to occasionally cook dinners for hikers ever since. I was more grateful than I could say.
So I settled into my tent with a full belly only to be greeted with the most intense thunderstorm on the trail so far. Water pooled under my tent and was soaking my pack which was sitting in the vestibule, so I decided to bail out and sleep in the shelter (albeit terribly).
In the tent again tonight hoping for better luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment