Tuesday 5 May 2009

Thursday 30 April 2009 - Camping (Crawfish Valley)

Am camped tonight at the 25% mark of the Appalachian Trail - have sore feet, but otherwise feel good. Hitch hiking was a doddle - we got taken into town by a woman in a pickup truck and taken back to the trail in the back of a van.

Met some very unusual folk in Atkins - it's the first time I've been served at a supermarket checkout by someone smoking a cigarette. One of the guys in the store asked me 'So how is it in England?' When I asked what he meant he said 'Is its very clean? I hear England's very clean.' He then went on to tell me, Paul and Peg at length about how marrying a hillbilly womand had caused him to lase his hair (at least I think that was what he was saying, I could only really catch one word in five).

Got back on the trail this afternoon after speaking to Lisa but decided to call it a short day (just 10.8 miles) ahead of hitting another 20+ day tomorrow. Onwards to the next 75%!

P.S. Had my first bona fide culinary disaster this evening. I bought a can of BBQ pork from the store in Atkins that looked like low grade dog food when I opened it and tasted little better. It was more than 800 calories though, so I chowed down regardless - it was not pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment