Tuesday 19 May 2009

Saturday 9 May 2009 - Pickle Branch Shelter

Had my first taste of the Virginia blues today - my feet were killing and my water bladder leaked inside my pack (fortunately my dry bags did their job and kept my clothes and sleeping bag dry). Only did 16 miles but found it really tough - felt genuinely like I was hiking through the pain at times. Will be hiking on painkillers tomorrow for sure, but we are headed for Catawba and the famous Homeplace Restaurant - it's all you can eat is meant to be fantastic. Only problem is that there are about 20+ other thruhikers with the same idea and tomorrow is also Mother's Day - could be pretty busy. The guys I've been sheltering with the last few days (Wags, Gangsta, Dutch, 1Pint , Stretch, Tinman, Hermes and Cricket) are all getting up at 3am to nighthike and be there when it opens. I'll be leaving camp about 7 with Snuggles who I saw today for the first time in weeks (we started the trail together). One of the best things on the AT is seeing people that you haven't seen for a long time - it's always raises a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment