Tuesday 5 May 2009

Saturday 2 May 2009 - Helveys Mill Shelter

Had a really long day yesterday (23.7 miles) which left me very tried and with painful feet - looking forward to Pearisburg (the next town) to give them a rest. We were rewarded for our efforts with a campsite that had an amazing view out over a valley with a dairy farm (exactly as I'd imagined Virginia).

The most memorable moment of the day was coming across a 3 foot long black snake lying across the trail. You could see that it just eaten something quite large so was docile enough that we could just walk around it.

Today I walked 17 miles and they flew by as I had an ipod day - sometimes music really helps to eat up the miles. Other than that today was laregly unremarkable - bit too much road walking (which is very rare for the AT). Will hit a small grocery sotre tomorrow and then hopefully campout by a waterfall.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rich, it's Cari. Have got back from Lisa's leaving drinks in Brum (am now in London) and wanted to say the following:

    EAT SOME SALAD, DAMMIT.

    That is all.

    Hope all going well, and that you have not yet been mistaken for a yeti.

    Also, given that I'll be visiting Lisa in July in order to resupply her with Cadburys, remember to pass on any home food requirements (I'm sure I'll be able to get Marmite past US Customs...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man,

    Enjoying you updates, sounds like a wonderful and gruelling trip, would love to be doing the same.

    Keep up the good work

    John Doyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Richard. Alan Bravey here. I just had a look at your blog. Sound like a great adventure. I just finished walking Hadrian's Wall. Not in your league although one of the legs was 22.5 miles. Good luck with the rest of the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Cari - I've been eating plenty of salad in towns (it's amazing how I pine for it).

    Doyle - great to hear from you.

    Al - really keen to do Hadrian's Wall, the Coast to Coast and the Peninne Way when I get back - can't believe I'm hiking 2,000 miles so far from home when I've done so little in my own back yard!

    ReplyDelete