Saturday 27 June 2009

Wednesday 17 June 2009 - Tumbling Run Shelter

Got on the trail this morning feeling very nervous indeed about my knee - took some painkillers hoping that would allow me to at least hike the 14 miles to the second shelter down the trail. However, I'm sitting here now having hikes 18.1 miles and with no real pain to report from my knee. I feel cautiously relieved. Yesterday for the first time I entertained the possibility that I had picked up the injury that might end my hike and it scared the life out of me. I also think it made me realise for the first time just how much importance I've placed on completing this adventure.
Although my body felt better, the weather was horrendous, so I've arrived at the shelter this afternoon soaked to the skin. I'm writing this dressed in my only dry clothes - a fleece, a blue waterproof, long underwear and plastic sandals. Quite the fashion icon.
After writing last night, I spoke to Lisa (on my new US cell phone) and then met some other thru-hikers, both of which raised my spirits. Am hoping that tomorrow is equally positive on the knee front and that I can start to generate some of the rhythm I mentioned yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment