Sunday 7 June 2009

Sunday 24 May 2009 - Black Rock Shelter

The time since my last entry has been the toughest on the trail so far. The shin pain I developed prior to Waynesboro was very slow in healing so I ended up spending 4 nights in town. In theory this doesn't sound so unappealing - lots of restaurants and grocery stores and plenty of time to relax, but by the fourth day doing it, it was becoming very difficult. Essentially, I'm out here currently (and in towns like Waynesboro) to hike, so if I'm not making progress life gets very frustrating, a frustration which is intensified by seeing other hikers come and go from town back on to the trail.

Hence on Monday I got back on the trail despite my shin not being 100% to do a tentative 7 miles. I didn't feel much pain during the day, but when setting up my tent in the evening, I had some pain that made me think I'd taken a backward step in my recovery. I spoke with Lisa on my mobile phone and decided that the best course of action was to hitch back to Waynesboro in the morning and spend more time recovering in a motel.

When the morning arrived, my shin felt surprisingly positive - not pain free, but better than it had been. I figured I would test it out over the first five miles and decide on a course of action from there. Since it felt good, I hiked 13 miles in total (still a short day) and kept my pace down. Aim to do the same tomorrow and hopefully the recovery will continue. Either way I'm not going back to Waynesboro - I completely killed that town.

On a different note, I managed to get mobile phone service today to keep in touch with the last day of the Premier League season - I can't believe that Newcastle are no longer in the top flight of English football. Mike Ashley is a halfwit.

No comments:

Post a Comment