Tuesday 9 June 2009

Saturday 30 May 2009 - Pass Mountain Shelter

Glad to say that the shin is now in full working order after being tested on a 20 mile day yesterday and a 19 mile day today. Spent last night at the Big Meadows lodge where David, Rolling Stone (and his dog, Coal), the three Smith brothers and I shared a very small cabin to allow us to make best use of the pub on site at the lodge. We were there until it closed and it was great to relax with a few beers.

Also yesterday came the moment I've been hoping for since entering Shenandoah National Park - I saw my first bear. The mother bear was sitting around 25 feet from the trail (see picture below) and her cub was playing in the tree above her. It was amazing and a huge rush. Since then I've seen 7 or 8 more.

Feels great to be properly hiking again and seeing the miles disappear. I passed the 900 mile mark yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. That is absolutely mint!!! Maybe he is looking to pinch your picnic hamper.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BY THE WAY MATE!!!

    ReplyDelete