Saturday 25 April 2009

Wednesday 15 April 2009 - Bald Mountain Shelter

Since I've had a short day today and am already in my sleeping bag at 6pm (and currently all alone in the shelter) I thought now would be a good time to jot down a few reflections and memories as I approach a month on the trail.

Firstly I'd say that the thing that prepared me best for the A.T. wasn't being in the scouts or doing my preparation hikes, but going to the Glastonbury festival. I reckon that if you can put up with 5 days of rain at Worthy Farm, Pilton then the hardships of the A.T. will be a piece of cake.

Secondly, I've noticed that I've written in my journal hardly at all about the people I've been hiking with. Over the past week or so I've hiked and sheltered with the same group most nights - they are:
  • Monkey Wrench: A 50 year old guy from Boston who quit his job as a web designer to hike the trail . His wife is back at home while he hikes, but previously together they have cylced from Lands End to John O'Groats, climbed Kilimanjaro and lots of other things. We've hiked plenty of the trail together - he cracks me up and is a good source of info on life in the States;


  • Peggy (Cuppa Joe) & Paul: Husband and wife from southern Maine, Peggy is a waitress and breakfast chef and Paul is a landscape garner. They've been excellent company on the trail since I met them wya back at Standing Indian Shelter. Peggy + Beccy are the source of much giggling and high spirits on evenings in the shelters.

  • Matt (Tumbleweed) & Beccy (Spitfire): Also from southern Maine (and sick of being told that they are 'hiking home') Matt workd in marine technology and Beccy is an occupational therapist. I've hiked with them a few days and they set an awesome pace and are lots of fun.

Seems like the group has (inevitably) broken apart a little now, but it's been excellent in the evenings reflecting on the trail with them all.

So far I'm really enjoying my time out here, but am excited for the day that Lisa arrives in the States both so that she can start her adventure and so that (at the start of June) we can see each other.

Doesn't look like there's anyone else coming to the shelter this evening, so it's just me and the mice...

P.S. Got my favourite piece of trail magic so far last night when I arrived at the shelter to find three cold beers sitting in the stream. Me and two others took one each - mine was as delicious as it was unexpected.




1 comment:

  1. Please keep an eye on Allen (Monkeywrench). We want him back.

    "Slow" Dan
    of CT Green Mt Club

    ReplyDelete