Saturday 11 April 2009

Friday 3 April 2009 - Russell Field Shelter

Hit the Smokies today after spending last night in the Fontana 'Hilton' - a shelter with running water and its own bathrooms (imagine the luxury). Got to walk across the Dam which was fun but the weather turned out to be grotty with fog and rain all day. Looks like it's going to be a cold night too.

Spending this evening in a shelter with a chainlink fence covering the front to protect us from bears and looking at the shelter register it sounds lilkes there's been a mother and two yearlings in the area in recent nights so might see them - not sure if that's a good or bad thing!

Carrying 8 days of food that I picked up in Fontana so my pack is pretty heavy - having to make sure I eat everything as scheduled to lighten the load.

P.S. Having lost my knife the other day and bought a new one, I've now found my original one so I am now carrying two - I might be getting fitter out here, but I ain't getting smarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment