Saturday 25 April 2009

Tuesday 14 April 2009 - Hogback Ridge Shelter

Yesterday was an unusual day - the wind was too strong for me to light my stove at breakfast time and that started the day on a negative note and my mood just got worse - so much so that I missed an opportunity for some trail magic (a house where a couple were serving dinner). However, later in the day my mood picked up as the trail went up and over an amazing ridgeline. The wind was howling and blowing me sideways, but the views were awesome and the climbing a lot of fun.

I was the first to arrive at the shelter, and since it had a fireplace, I got a fire started that kept us warm as the weather closed in.

Today was a more even tempered affair - quite a lot of uphill in the 15 miles (including a section that I hiked twice because of taking a wrong turn to look at a waterfall). I'm now settled into the shelter and am, for once, satisfied with my bear bagging efforts. Two short 10 mile days coming up which will mean that in my first month on the trail (which will be complete in 5 days time) I will have done 350 miles.. Will need to increase that to around 400 miles a month to make 5 and a half month pace. I passed the 300 mile mark on the trail today.

No comments:

Post a Comment