Thursday 10 September 2009

Monday 10 August 2009 – Bemis Mountain Lean To

Crossed my final state line on Saturday and moved into Maine and the last 280 miles of the trail. Since then I’ve walked what is purportedly ‘the toughest mile on the A.T.’ through Mahoosuc Notch. The Notch is a valley floor crammed with lost of huge boulders that you have to scramble and climb over and under – it was tiring, but fantastic fun – the mile took me just over an hour to complete. That evening I had the welcome pleasure of having dinner with a boy-scout troop who had cooked spaghetti with sun-dried tomatoes and pepperoni, decidedly nicer than the noodles that I’d planned to eat.
Earlier today I was reunited with Rolling Stone, David, Motor and Freeze, and just before entering camp this evening, David called to me and Stone to be quiet – there was a moose grazing near to the trail. It was an awesome, trip completing sight – the moose was huge; at least as tall as a camel and much more imposing. Really, very impressive indeed.Still some tough miles to come though…

No comments:

Post a Comment