Sunday 29 March 2009

Thursday 26 March 2009 - Standing Indian Shelter

Didn't enjoy today very much at all. We left Hiawassee at 9:15 and began our hike in the rain. I'd initially only planned to walk 5 miles, but decided to go further. On reaching Muskrat Creek Shelter where we had planned to stay, we found it full of 6 or 7 very morose characters. The rain seems to have dulled people's spirits quite a lot and when we reached the next shelter (also full) things were very much the same. Made big miles though (16+) and crossed my first state from Georgia to North Carolina.

Have just learnt how to hang my food from a tree to avoid bears taking it and am now in my sleeping bag waiting for it to get dark so I can get some sleep. Gotta love those 8pm bed times!

2 comments:

  1. I never thought I'd hear a mate say the phrase "just learnt how to hang my food from a tree to avoid bears taking it" - keep the upadates coming Rich, they're great to read. Roachey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Rock - bear bagging is a royal pain in the arse., let me tell you.

    ReplyDelete