Wednesday 25 March 2009

Friday 20 March 2009 - Hawk Mountain Shelter

Have just finished my first day on the AT proper (having hiked the 8.8 mile approach trail yesterday). Feeling really good and strong and the sun is shining - have had to resist the temptation to do big miles and so am restricting myself to 8/9 miles a day at the moment to ease myself in. Stayed in my first shelter last night with a good few folk, all American. Kirk (a guy from Georgia) and I really hit it off, but he was just finishing a southbound hike, so we went our seperate ways this morning.

The hiking so far has mainly been through forest (with only a few breaks in the trees). Really enjoying the life at the moment - I'm writing this in my tent which I've pitched for the first time. Think I will try and trim my pack weight a little as I would like to get it down to around 40lb from my current 45lb.

Favourite comment on me being English so far - 'You're English huh? So are potatoes a big vegetable in England?'

No phone signal so haven't been able to call home yet. Aim to try in Neel's Gap in two days time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rich, Sounds like your having a great time already! What was your response to the potatoe comment though?!
    Dan
    PwC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little dumbfounded - I just kind of went 'errmmm... yeah, I guess so' - the guy who was asking seemed a little disappointed.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete