Sunday 29 March 2009

Saturday 28 March 2009 - Franklin, North Carolina

In town waiting in Domino's for a pizza ahead of a zero (no hiking) day tomorrow. Going to sort out some groceries to post ahead to Fontana Dam as I hear that resupply there is quite poor.

Had a good couple of days hiking in the rain (after my low Thursday) and made excellent time - my mileage for the past few days has been 15, 11, 15, 11, 16, 14 which puts me in pretty good shape. Stayed in a shelter last night with some nice people (and some not so nice mice) and hiked 9 miles this morning before 10am in order to meet the shuttle into Franklin. Planning on pushing a little harder through the Smokey Mountains as I would like to spend a week or so on the trail without going into town as I feel that Hiawassee and now Frankiln have broken my momentum a little.

Staying in Miss Janet's hostel - she's a trail legend, known as the 'sweetheart of the trail.' The hostel is excellent and she's a great source of advice. Looking forward to a lie in ahead of an easy day and then some serious hiking.

P.S Passed the 100 mile mark today which already makes this the longest hike of my life by some margin - just 2075 miles to go!

3 comments:

  1. Good going mate!!! 100 miles is a milestone. Just another 19 sets of 100 and you will pretty much be there. I thought that sounded better than 2075. Keep going and good luck !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was just looking at your route on-line. It's pretty impressive. When abouts will you get to the President's retreat at Camp David and the federal government's super-secret underground bunker. That sounds quality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will make sure to watch my back mate - don't want to disappear for good...

    ReplyDelete